[nSLUG] webcams...

jim dorey skaar at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 15 09:29:20 AST 2009

Michael Gillie wrote:
> Hello fellow Linux Users,
>
> I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm trying to get my hands on a webcam that will
> actually work with, you guessed it, Linux. I'm going to admit, I'm
> running into road blocks. I'm using Debian 4.0 or Ubuntu, whichever is
> the first to do what I want. I've been working with a newer Logitech
> Quickcam, but my frustrations are building. I have to build a
> light-weight streaming server, and broadcast the feed from the camera.
> I'm planning on using VLC as the media server.

i've had luck with the quickcam i got at the futureshop on sale for 20
bucks, it's the model that hangs on a laptop screen, eyeball shaped(put
a cross in the room, use it to autofocus, motorise the lens?), e2500
chip or something, worked fine, i installed a newer slackware version,
didn't bother to enable the camera again.  i usually save my config
files, but i'm not sure if it was a config file or a header file or
what, that i changed, i'll be digging around eventually, a toe to the
butt might help.