[nSLUG] Re: webcams...

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Nov 15 02:34:06 AST 2009

Michael Gillie <mikegpc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm trying to get my hands on a webcam that will
> actually work with, you guessed it, Linux.

I can confirm that at least *some* older Logitech USB Quickcams work with
Linux.

You might try http://www.pc700.com/ (902-468-9607), out near the north
end of Robie St.  When I was last in there, I was looking for a
bucketful of serial mice at junk price.  He wouldn't give me junk
price but had mice and a lot of other oldish stuff at reasonable
prices.

It's not clear from your post how close to the metal you're supposed
to be hacking.  There is an open-source Quickcam Linux module on
Sourceforge:

   http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/

that works for me.  The web page and package docs are pretty clear on
which cams the module supports but you may have to open a 2nd-hand cam
to determine what chips it uses (or just take it home and try it) if
there's no model designation on the outside of the cam.

I don't see anything in the quickcam module docs about an API but it
does work with motion:

    http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

which is also open source and with mplayer. Haven't tried it with
Zoneminder.

There *are* old Logitech cams that use a parallel port interface.
AFAIK, there's no existing Linux support for them and you'd have hack
the hardware interface yourself. But I might be wrong; look here for
further driver help:

    http://www.crynwr.com/qcpc/

HTH,
- Mike