[nSLUG] webcams...

Michael Gillie mikegpc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 21:53:18 AST 2009

 Hello fellow Linux Users,

I'm in a bit of a bind. I'm trying to get my hands on a webcam that will
actually work with, you guessed it, Linux. I'm going to admit, I'm running
into road blocks. I'm using Debian 4.0 or Ubuntu, whichever is the first to
do what I want. I've been working with a newer Logitech Quickcam, but my
frustrations are building. I have to build a light-weight streaming server,
and broadcast the feed from the camera.
I'm planning on using VLC as the media server.

If anyone has any great ideas, PLEASE let me know. This is a school project.

Here are the basics of the system...

It's a Dell Latitude D610.
It runs both Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian 4.0 without a hitch, stability-wise.
It needs an opensource webcam streaming server which:

   1. allows for easy configuration
   2. allows for secure login
   3. has a web interface that can be modified, most specifically, the
   layout, styles, etc.
   4. MUST be open source, and free.

So, that leads me to ask where can I find an older or compatible webcam at a
reasonable price?
I would prefer used, as I have to dismantle it down to the basic wire and
"eye".

Thanks,

Michael Gillie