[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Nov 6 08:56:30 AST 2009

> For a week, Aliant tech support maintained that they didn't loose
> email, etc., etc., etc..
>
> At some point some indiscreet support person mentioned that they had
> recently moved to another server (in Ottawa I think). At that point I
> knew I had them... ;-)

 I ran into this same thing a few weeks ago.

 We had several customers call and complain that email they sent to many
Aliant users hadn't made it yet I could see in the logs they had
received every one of them. And it turned out that our Nagios system had
noticed that they had changed the IPs on which they receive email the
same day. Of course several of the customers didn't believe me but there
wasn't much I could do to convince them since email is really an on your
honour system and all I could do was show my logs of them accepting it.

 I think a huge queue just hit the bit bucket over those days :)