[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

David Potter dlpotter at eastlink.ca
Wed Nov 4 16:40:52 AST 2009

I experienced a similar event several years ago with Aliant.

I was administering a couple of servers for a business, and one day my
tripwire and a couple of other reports did not appear in my Sympatico
(home) account.

When I checked the mail logs, I could see that the mail had been
accepted by the Aliant smtp server.

For a week, Aliant tech support maintained that they didn't loose email,
etc., etc., etc..

At some point some indiscreet support person mentioned that they had
recently moved to another server (in Ottawa I think). At that point I
knew I had them... ;-)

Shortly after that I actually spoke to a system administrator and I
dared him to check his logs for the Msg ID of one of the messages my
logs said they had received. Well.......

His rough count was 10,000 messages received but undelivered. It took
them about 10 days before I didn't notice the arrival of old mail and
even then it's hard to tell whether they deliver it all or simply dumped
a bunch....

My unanswerable question(s) included:

1) How many job interviews were missed?
2) How many resumes were lost?
3) How many relationships were severed (or mangled)?
4) How many people missed out on cruises, estate settlements, larger
genitalia, etc..

My guess was LOTS!