[nSLUG] smtp relay through eastlink and ESET Nod32 tagline = disappearing email

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:16:10 AST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> There was a report on CBC radio this AM of email problems between
> Eastlink and Symaptico that implied the problems were of short duration
> and affected only a few users.  This led to a bunch of people sending email
> to report problems going back a few weeks with Eastlink and Sympatico
> each blaming the other.

I wonder if Eastlink is able to butter up the media that easily
or are the media just confused by the confusing rumors they hear
and they simply repeat it all hoping it was the truth.

The problem had gone on for more than a week.  My wife reported colleagues
not receiving email for at least that long between her lost email
and my most recent test of Nov 2nd.

How many people are effected is likely unknown.  If you didn't receive
something you were not expecting, and there is no bounce,
how would anyone know?

I fail to see how Eastlink's Ironport on smtp.eastlink.ca for
outbound on Eastlink customers becomes an Aliant problem.
The only thing that could possibly explain the double blame is
if Aliant runs Ironport with the same settings to delete "spam".

If you don't have a guarantee that your email went *somewhere* (aside
from viruses), then email isn't very useful.

 Turns out there is a Commissioner for Complaints
> for Telecommunications Services:
>
> <http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1003.htm>
>
> Contact the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services
> If you’re not satisfied with your Internet service provider’s
> response, check the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications
> Services (CCTS) website to see if your service provider is a member.
> If so, contact the CCTS with your complaint.
> The CCTS is an independent agency that helps resolve consumer
> complaints about your telecommunications service. Contact them at:
> email: info at ccts-cprst.ca
> mail: P.O. Box 81088, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1B1
> toll-free telephone: 1-888-221-1687
> toll-free TTY: 1-877-782-2384
> fax: 1-877-782-2924

> CBC interviewed the CCTS, who admitted few people know he exists.

I've dealt with the CRTC before.  They are little more than an ombudsman
to ensure a complaint does receive a response.  The response can bear
no semblance to reality, simply following good deductive logic of anything
stated in the enterprise's correspondence, and it is perfectly acceptable to
the CRTC.

--Donald