[nSLUG] Complete control is better? (was: Wikipedia)

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Nov 4 12:48:16 AST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Daniel Morrison wrote:

> Sorry, Richard, but I disagree with you on pretty much all counts.

***   No apology is necessary, Dan. It's a discussion forum.
Disagreements are, in part, how we learn.  (-:

> In particular, your assertion that exploitable flaws in security
> software are "immediately evident" is entirely wrong.

***   I was thinking along more obvious lines in that when some aspect
of a program fails to achieve the desired results, that the user
immediately sees a problem. Now that user may not know what caused it,
but it is still evident. A simple example might be a menu item that
goes someplace other than what the item says, or fails to work at
all.

    I noticed an error in a GUI desktop program I was playing with a
few years ago. I wanted to select a menu item, as as I hate point &
click, I use the underlined letter. It did something completely
different. I realised later that two items in different menus
visible at the same time used the same underlined letter.

>> Who is actually checking that level of expertise [at Wikipedia]
>> versus who is checking it at Britannica?
>
> As Ben pointed out, it's everybody/anybody, by using critical
> thinking. A diploma does not guarantee correctness. Peer review does a
> much better job.

***   That is assuming that the piers are educated in that subject,
can think critically, *and* that they even will bother to send in a
correction. Therein lies the problems. I am not saying this would
always be the case, nor that this can't be overcome. My comments stem
from the current status of Why?Ki.

> You worry that too many people in the world will take Wikipedia (or
> Britannica, or any other resource) at face value without engaging in
> critical thinking.

***   It's not a worry - it's reality. If an error propagates to
enough places, the public will parrot it. Look at the influence of bad
hournalism and even regular TV programs. Standarss are faliing and not
enough is being done to stop it. This was discusse at the Rex Murphy
lecture last month when I raised this very point.

> But this is not a flaw in Wikipedia. Our failure to teach people to
> question authority will not be solved by installing additional
> authorities.

***   I can't agree. The quality and motives of those authorities, if
in the right place, would make a difference.

> Also:
>
>> ***   True, David, and unfortunately it's becoming more true as
>> literacy and journalism standards continue to fall. That aside,
>> though, until the standards lowered, I trusted printed media well
>> over on-line media that is publically editable.
>
> I don't believe that literacy and journalism standards are "continuing
> to fall". Literacy, in particular in the long term, is up.

***   Hmm, not according to figures I recently heard, nor to the grade
level stats released a few years ago. As I recall, Nova Scotia was
near the bottom, I might add. One need only read or listen to media
today to hear how poor the literacy levels are compared to decades
ago. They can't pronounce, don't know the meanings of simple words and
have no idea about verb tenses, objective and subjective pronouns,
conjunctions and prepostiions - adverbs? what are those?

> As for journalism -- sensationalist crime and gore on inky
> broadsheets were the norm in Victorian England. I don't think the
> 21st century has a particular claim on a lack of journalistic
> integrity. While the rise of individual publication on the Internet
> has certainly had an effect, I think there are merits to the
> argument that it has permitted more "calling to account" of
> questionable journalism than not.

***

> I don't trust any media due to its format (printed vs. online). I base
> my trust on media by the following criteria:
> - how well they support their positions using logical reasoning
> - how reputable they are considered by their peers (and mine)
> - how relevant and reputable are considered the sources they cite
> - how openly they admit to their own bias

***