[nSLUG] Wikipedia (Was: "Cat5e vs Cat6")

Richard Bonner ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Nov 2 12:23:03 AST 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm getting really annoyed at people pissing on wikipedia.
>
> Anecdote: a couple of days ago, I was talking to a guy who has a
> couple of thousand hits on Google, viz. very minor media celeb (but,
> for purposes of comparison, way, way more of a celeb than, say, I am.)
>
> He has a Wikipedia page.  He cheerfully recounted to me how:
>
>   + His friends had created it.
>
>   + Other friends had edited it to add some personal info that was
>     quite plausible but false and mildly embarassing.
>
>   + Yet another friend had used his web page in a classroom context
>     to demonstrate the risks of believing Wikipedia.
>
> Of course I had to go look at the page and sure enough, it says
> something about him that can instantly be verified as untrue by seeing
> him in person but otherwise would be very hard to validate or
> discredit.
>
> - Mike

***   A number of years ago in the U.S., Wikipedia was used to falsely
discredit some political rival. I don't remember the details, but
believe that some page on some politician was subtly altered to imply
negative things.

   Until they get complete control over it, there's a good reason I
call it "Why? Ki-pedia".

  Richard