[nSLUG] EastLink hijacking DNS

Eri Ramos Bastos bastos.eri at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:44:39 AST 2009

In theory it works by replacing all NXDOMAIN (non-existent domain)
answers by a valid response.
It can be done just for their domain (eastlink.ca) which is included
in your search domain by their DHCP server or for all domains.

Not sure which one they are using since I had opt-out already when
some at the list suggested to remove eastlink.ca from the search
domain.

Anyway this only affects who is using their DNS servers. If you run
your own or use OpenDNS for instance, you should be good.

Still... they are breaking the internet... :-\

Regards,
Eri Ramos Bastos