[nSLUG] Cat5 vs Cat6

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:34:26 AST 2009

2009/11/2 Jason Kenney <jdkenney at gmail.com>:
> People seriously still use cat5?  Why? Can you even buy it?
>
> If you have a speed issues or link problems on a cat5 cable, you go
> buy a $2 cat5e cable, not a $$$ cable tester?

Costs a heckuva lot more than $2 to run new cat5e infrastructure cable
in a building. You only have to pay $$$ for a tester once. Everytime
it shows you that a cable was mis-wired, you can fix it in a couple of
minutes for free with your bix tool, or with a pair of new ends for
$0.50.

I also have a Fluke -- not nearly as fancy but it is still invaluable.

I had forgotten about the four-pair requirement for Gigabit. Thanks
for the reminder, Jim!

-D.