[nSLUG] Wikipedia (Was: "Cat5e vs Cat6")

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:25:58 AST 2009

2009/11/2 Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms>:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 03:49:39AM -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:
>> Nice object lesson.  OTOH, if I want to get a quick backgrounder on,
>> say, Caroline of Ansbach or the 30 years' war, I'm not going to be
>> thrown very far off track if there's an error or even a plausible but
>> meretricious insertion.
>
> You might, look at the recent controversy over the Battle of
> Agincourt. That has the potential to be 594 years of error.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/world/europe/25agincourt.html

Not an error. More likely purposeful manipulation by government (of
Henry V). And not an issue with Wikipedia. And as Wikipedia is rapidly
edited, it already contains a section regarding the controversy over
the "outnumbering":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_agincourt#Modern_reassessment_of_Agincourt

Wikipedia even cites Britannica. Obviously, the printed Britannica in
your parent's basement has no such update.

> ... anyway. It's an encyclopedia. There's a reason you don't cite
> encyclopedias, they're just a starting point.

I'm continually amazed at how many people don't get that.

Friend: "OMG I have a paper to write and I'm totally lost"
Me: "Go look it up on Wikipedia!"
Friend: "I can't do that, we're not allowed!"
Me: "I didn't say to cite Wikipedia in your paper, duh! I mean read it
to get oriented, then you know what to look for in papers that you CAN
cite!"

<sigh>

-D.