[nSLUG] Cat5e vs Cat6

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:11:27 AST 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 02:12:23PM -0400, Hatem Nassrat wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes the network wiring itself may contribute to the speed. I
>> recently found out that to use Gigabit one should use cat6e wiring.
>
> cat5e, although you can certainly use cat6 if you want.

Yeah I was still confused, hence my mention of the imaginary cat6e.
After chilling on Wikipedia (great when researching non controversial
topics) I found out that cat5e works up to 1000Base-T
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair#Cabling)
Ethernet, but to get to 10Gbit Ethernet
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet) you would need Cat6
Cables (and there is a max length limit of 55m of cable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable#Maximum_Length)

--
Hatem Nassrat