[nSLUG] Slow file transfer on my LAN

microburn at gmail.com microburn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 14:31:25 AST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:12:23
To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group<nslug at nslug.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: [nSLUG] Slow file transfer on my LAN

Oliver,

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM, odoepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
> odoepner wrote:
>> File transfers in my home LAN never seem to be faster than 2MB/s.

2MB/s is == 16Mbps

since this is greater than 11Mbps and you did mention wireless so I
guess you are using atleast 802.11g. If you have multiple machines
connected via wireless the are space bandwidth is divided (freq
modulation) by the number of machines connected, i.e. if you have 3.3
machines connected via wireless that would be the max bandwidth you
would get on an 802.11g network.

[...]
>> The file server is an Excito Bubba/2 (has a Gigabit NIC):
>> http://www.excito.com/bubba/technical-specifications.html

Sometimes the network wiring itself may contribute to the speed. I
recently found out that to use Gigabit one should use cat6e wiring.

Hope my assumptions are not too trivial or they were covered earlier.
I believe this topic was started before I joined as I have no
recollection of it.

--
Hatem Nassrat