[nSLUG] Slow file transfer on my LAN

odoepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 13:38:55 AST 2009

Hello everyone,

In January I sent an email regarding "Slow file transfer on my LAN" to the
NSLUG mailing list and received some helpful answers (from Ian, Gregg, Herb,
J.Paul and Rich). Unfortunately I got kind of distracted and did not pursue
this any further. In particular, I did not reply to some questions and
suggestions that were made.

I want to apologize for that and emphasize that I highly appreciate(d) all
the responses from the list. The issue (slow LAN) still exists and I will
try out the various ideas that were suggested when I finally get around to
it ...

thanks
Oliver

odoepner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> File transfers in my home LAN never seem to be faster than 2MB/s.
>
> I saw this on a wired client (with an Nvidia Nforce network controller)
> and a wireless client (my laptop) using wireless/g.
>
> The file server is an Excito Bubba/2 (has a Gigabit NIC):
> http://www.excito.com/bubba/technical-specifications.html
>
> The devices were connected via a Linksys WRTG 54GL router (v1.1) running
> the Linux based firmware DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std (see dd-wrt.com).
>
> The transer protocols tested were Samba and SCP.
>
> Any ideas how I could narrow down the problem?
>
> thanks
> Oliver

-----
Oliver Doepner