[nSLUG] Unpriviledged User package Management System

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sat May 30 09:14:19 ADT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 08:09:29AM -0300, George N. White III wrote:
> My ideal distro would not have any end user packages -- those would be managed
> by users using multiple separate package manager systems.  Openpkg does this.
> Some other efforts (macports might be able to do this if you avoid packages like
> apache that need to install daemons), but I guess many sites are moving to VM's
> for this.

I would like to discuss this in more detail, so I thought starting a new
thread would be ideal. Having un-priviledged accounts on multiple system
my issue has always been, how to easily install software under my home
directory, or even enduser packages.  Awesome systems like TeX, Vim,
Python, ... (probably every single system that I know of on unix) have
the flexibility to allow for end users to install their own packages
that were not installed system wide.

Here there is really two issues,

    1. installing end user packages for a system that has already been
    installed

    2. installing software that was not installed system wide

I will hae to checkou openpkg, but I have not yet come accross a distro
pkg manager that has this feature. Things like CPan, easy_install (or
PiP) allow end users to install their own packages for Perl and Python
respectively.

As for my second item, again without having looked at openpkg yet, has
also been a hastle for me. Compiling everything from scratch somewhat
seems like overkill and not the easiest way to go. Its not really the
compiling but moreso having to run a few commands to install each
package and the same for any dependency it has. I have found a cool
little package manager that solves this named AAP
( http://www.a-a-p.org ). AAP is a cross platform package manager, and
this makes it awesome. The issue is it hasn't really picked up, so right
now its really good at installing vim :S.

Any thoughts, ideas, or info on package managers that work within home
directories would help this discussion kickoff.

Thanks,

--
Hatem Nassrat