[nSLUG] Suggestions for Distro

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri May 29 19:20:47 ADT 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:14:27 -0600
derek mahoney <derekmahoe at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What are some suggestions for Distro and maybe some user experiences? What is it that you really like about your distro of choice.

You might like to look around for distros that offer live CD/DVD/USB
images so you can check them out a bit before settling on one[1].

Support is another important issue: if you're new, be sure you know
people who can help.  If you have a close friend or family member that
already knows a lot about a particular distro, and they are receptive to
offering you help, that can be an asset and can influence your choice.
Failing that, look online wherever help is being offered and judge for
yourself if you fit into those communities and could grow there.

I believe it is learning the software that is by far the most valuable
thing, not the technology itself.  Both Debian and Ubuntu have thriving
learning cultures of different kinds.  While I'm a Debian developer
myself and clearly have my bias, I feel comfortable recommending either
of these communities to you, as they have excellent distros and lots of
people surrounding them who can help you learn.

Ben

1. e.g. http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/