[nSLUG] Suggestions for Distro

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri May 29 19:07:14 ADT 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 13:22:00 -0700
Michael Crawford <mdcrawford at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran Debian for quite a long time, but decided to move to Fedora
> because of what I feel is a misguided policy about Debian Stable
> maintenance:
>
> They only fix security holes.  They *don't* fix crashes or bugs that
> cause end-user data loss.

Absolute rubbish!  It is you who are misguided, not our policy.

Have a good look at the 5.0.1 point release changelog.  It is not
exclusively made up of security fixes.

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/ChangeLog

We have never had a policy of only fixing security holes for stable
releases.  Other severe problems causing crashes or bugs that cause
end-user data loss *are* included.

Point releases happen frequently enough so that stable users need not
suffer a long time with major problems between releases, and the
'proposed-updates' are available to the public between point-releases.

http://timeline.debian.net/

Ben