[nSLUG] Suggestions for Distro

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Fri May 29 17:53:50 ADT 2009

When I first started using Linux it was with SuSE 4.2, there was no
upgrade path. Each version cost money and usually meant a clean
installation which was time consuming.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 on a laptop and Debian testing on a desktop.
I feel that the Ubuntu installer is heading the way of windows, you
install what the distributors want you to.
I am also having issues hdd order. every hdd is sda, sdb, sd* no matter
whether if it is ata, sata or scsi. Booting from chosen disk is a pain.
I had a mixture of SCSI, SATA and ATA. The order the BIOS sees the hdd
and the partitioner orders the disks are different.

I like Debian, at least testing , which offers a smooth transition from
one version to another. Testing becomes stable, Sid becomes testing and
so on. I have rarely had to do a clean install.