[nSLUG] Suggestions for Distro

Ted Tibbetts intuited at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:11:30 ADT 2009

Hi,
  I've been an ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu user for a few years now, after using
Debian for a year or so.  I'm definitely not a good person to ask about
other distros, but I can tell you about my recent experiences with ubuntu.
  Since I refuse to upgrade to a version named after a non-existent animal,
I'm still running Intrepid "8.10" Ibex on one of my machines, and Hardy LTS
on the other.  I decided that I wanted to check out KDE 4, and quickly
discovered that I really like it, and that 4.1 (the version that is still
current in Intrepid) has some issues.
  Rather than cave and move to 9.04, I added the intrepid-backports repo to
my /etc/apt/sources.list with the line

> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-backports main universe
> multiverse restricted

and updated/upgraded.  This provided, in addition to updates to apps like
openoffice, an upgrade to KDE 4.2.2, which, although not free of problems,
is a marked improvement on 4.1.  I have had a couple of minor stability
issues since then but I suspect that these are resulting from a video driver
update and not related to the backports move.  In any case your mileage may
vary.
  So you may wish to try this, as it will probably be more convenient for
you than moving to a different distro.
  I've also discovered that there is a 'semi-official remix' of Jaunty that
runs KDE 3: "https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty".  Haven't tried
it (actually I have a strong aesthetic aversion to kde3) but it may suit
your needs if your problems are mostly derived from KDE 4 rather than
lower-level components.
  It may also prove to be less time-consuming to troubleshoot your basic
functionality problems than to switch distros.. can you be more specific?
  Cheers
-Ted