[nSLUG] Suggestions for Distro

derek mahoney derekmahoe at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 13:14:27 ADT 2009

Hello Again All.

I know asking this question is like asking which religion is better or do you if you believe in god, but I was just looking for feedback on Linux Distro's. I have been using Kubuntu for quite some time and have always updated when the new one was released. However, upon doing so when kubuntu 9.04 was released I have run in to some problems with basic functionality. I am also using KDE4 which I know has it's share of problems but I like KDE and what it offers. I made the switch to kde4 shortly after it was released and upon monitoring the progress I like the improvements made thus far.

Anyway, like i said I am thinking about installing another distro and because the choice can be overwhelming I figure I would get some suggestions first. I am thinking about SUSE 11 because I hear good things.

What I am looking for in a distro is nothing too complicated. I would lIke to use KDE desktop. I know this can be installed after the fact but would pefer to have it run natively. I would Like a good selection of tools and a nice out of the box functionality and usability.

What are some suggestions for Distro and maybe some user experiences? What is it that you really like about your distro of choice.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Derek.