[nSLUG] How to sync two directory trees

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:48:44 ADT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/27 Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com>:

>>> Yes, there is an easy way.
>>> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>
>> I second that. This is the best program in existence. Well at-least
>> for syncing directories.
>
> Or you could just use rsync.

True. I re-read Mike's email and it seems all he needs is rsync, since
all he wants is uni-directional syncronization:

    rsync -avz --progress --delete machine.com:path/to/source path/to/dest

either the source or the destination can be remote machines, but it
cannot be both.

Now if you want bi-directional synchronisation (i.e. really
synchronising the two folders were either directory could have
changed) you will need to use "unison".

--
Hatem Nassrat