[nSLUG] Help: CPAN session "killed", "0-order allocation failed"

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:21:05 ADT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Random failures always makes me suspect hardware.
> > It was the main thing I learned via Gentoo back in 2003.
> > If compiling the same code fails at different points you
> > could have bad RAM.
>
> Its either that or your C libraries are royally screwed. Is it just
> this that fails, I am inclined to think that your machine shouldn't be
> working at all. Were you by any chance upgrading your system and your
> kernel or experimenting with your kernel.

In my case, I had a home machine that had been running Redhat 7.3 flawlessly
for some months.  When I did a stage 2 build of Gentoo on it, it
randomly during compiling.  Restarting the build from a fresh
boot caused a problem at another point.  Changing the memory
timing in CMOS caused it to run the build flawlessly.  I had moved
the timing from normal to aggressive years before as an experiment
and never had a problem until Gentoo.  I'd think memtest might
find the same problem if left to run for a long time.