[nSLUG] Re: Help: CPAN session "killed", "0-order allocation failed"

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue May 12 20:03:27 ADT 2009

Jason wrote:

> Hmm, try adding some more swap space.   Because you said "nothing is
> running that should max out memory", I am going to presume you didn't
> actually *look* at the amount of free memory/swap and you are in fact
> running out.

Um......ummmm..............

I know I set up swap space when I installed.  There's a 500M swap
partition.  But what do you know?  There's no swap entry in /etc/fstab
for swapon -a to see when it's run in rc.S.  And that depsite much
manual fiddling in /etc/fstab to set up loop amd nfs mounts.

FWIW, /usr/bin/top always shows memory nearly maxed out no matter what
I'm doing.  I assumed that was a kernel feature of some kind that I
didn't understand.  I've never had the "__alloc_pages: 0-order
allocation failed" message before, even when, say, running gimp on a
pair of big images.  Googling that  phrase turns up a lot of
inconclusive head scratching.

Duh.  I'll get back to you after a bit. :-\

Thanks,
- Mike

                                                           /V\