[nSLUG] Looking for a DNS secondary partner

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon May 4 10:52:19 ADT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> I don't think you need to be pure of heart to write good code, nor do
> I have the faintest idea what "self-serving" or "altruistic" means in
> the context of code anyway. For all his personal and personality
> defects, Reiser knew what he was doing.

I don't know how much commercial code development
you've seen, but I have seen cases where there is a difference.

Code developed for a product is often deployed in-house and enhanced
at first for in-house needs.  Later, as major customers use the beta
version (ahrm, I meant version 1.0), they make live or die demands on
features they need.  Sometimes, it will break features needed
for the in-house use, or in the least, lead to a great amount of
code bloat, or additional daemons to be present.  There is a difference
in developing code that "gets by" and code that will withstand
trouble and a broader range of deployments than one developer
could not anticipate.

I can't say I can avoid running crappy code completely,
as some decisions are out of my hands.

For example yum on Redhat, and their missing error checking code
(e.g. opens files without checking they exist - no error handler).
Spews useless python back trace.  Utterly pathetic stuff
any first year C.S. coder would know not to do.

--Donald