[nSLUG] Looking for a DNS secondary partner

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon May 4 09:42:52 ADT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:

> Reiser, for all intents and purposes, was ReiserFS. That's why v4 is
> basically dead in the water right now. v3, on the other hand, is
> stable (for some definition of stable) -- someone will have to squish
> bugs found, and since it's open source anyone can. The vast majority
> of people using it now can continue using it with no ill effects.

Know of any distros willing to go that route for their default FS choice?
It seems everyone has backed off the trend to go reiser that
was becoming common a few years ago.

> > I'm speaking of production use.  Play all you want with the rest.
> > If you only have to answer to yourself then there is little issue
> > picking things based on any criteria.
>
> Hah.
>
> Wasn't someone posting on here a week or two ago about some email
> script getting abused to send spam? I don't keep old NSLUG threads so
> I don't recall who it was, but it seems on point here.

I do keep all my mailing lists.  Try using gmail.  It is easier to search
for information from mailing lists there than in archives on line.

Of course support is important, but so is not getting hacked, and so
> is not having your app run dog-slow. If security and performance
> aren't factors in your decision making process for what runs in
> production, you may want to rethink that.

In terms of picking technology, which is what this discussion was
about, I can't unpick php.  So that is out of my hands.

It wasn't my php code that was used by the hacker.
We are in the same situation as hosting ISPs, where newbie
php code or unmaintained web applications can be abused.
We are constantly improving the security of this.

The easiest way to avoid getting hacked is to have no users.  I have
several hundred.  Half of them are able to say "academic freedom"
and do what they like.  Achieving enterprise standards is a direction
I'd like to go, but if you've only worked in corporate settings, you
wouldn't know how difficult that is to make work in the Academic
user environment.

--Donald