[nSLUG] Looking for a DNS secondary partner

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat May 2 11:26:16 ADT 2009

Michael Crawford wrote:

> What I'm the most concerned about is making some kind of mistake in
> the configuration or installation, so that either my service isn't
> reliable, or my servers get 0wnz0r3d.

The Debian/Ubuntu default install of bind is pretty sane. I imagine the
install with other distributions is equally sane. Bind is typically
configured to drop root privileges after startup, and run in a chroot.
If these options are not the default, it won't be hard configure.

Unlike the Sendmail configuration files the Bind files are easy. The
only tricky part is remembering all of the "{}; characters. The Bind
configuration files are similar in format to the dhcpd files.

--
sg