[nSLUG] Looking for a DNS secondary partner

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri May 1 16:46:40 ADT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 03:57:52PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ian Campbell <ian at slu.ms> wrote:
>

> > There probably isn't a future for reiserfs4. Reiserfs3 is in
> > maintenance mode though, and while there are plenty of reasons not to
> > use it for ... anything really, "OH NOES REISER KILLED HIS WIFE" isn't
> > one of them.
> >

> Really?  Think about it.  You trust that code to provide
> support for an entire file system and yet the developer
> has the moral ethics below that of most pets.  I think there
> is reason to be concerned about the attitude of someone who could
> commit murder and any possible association to what
> kind of code they could write (e.g. self serving as opposed
> to altruistic).

I don't think you need to be pure of heart to write good code, nor do
I have the faintest idea what "self-serving" or "altruistic" means in
the context of code anyway. For all his personal and personality
defects, Reiser knew what he was doing.

I would be concerned if Reiser lived next door. Concerned about my
data though? Not so much.

> Regardless of why he is off the scene now, the main issue
> here is any project that can be influenced by one developer
> being "hit by a truck" and no one else able to lift
> the weight in their absence is the sort to avoid if
> there are options.

Reiser, for all intents and purposes, was ReiserFS. That's why v4 is
basically dead in the water right now. v3, on the other hand, is
stable (for some definition of stable) -- someone will have to squish
bugs found, and since it's open source anyone can. The vast majority
of people using it now can continue using it with no ill effects.

> I'm speaking of production use.  Play all you want with the rest.
> If you only have to answer to yourself then there is little issue
> picking things based on any criteria.

Hah.

Wasn't someone posting on here a week or two ago about some email
script getting abused to send spam? I don't keep old NSLUG threads so
I don't recall who it was, but it seems on point here.

Of course support is important, but so is not getting hacked, and so
is not having your app run dog-slow. If security and performance
aren't factors in your decision making process for what runs in
production, you may want to rethink that.