[nSLUG] Looking for a DNS secondary partner

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri May 1 11:39:26 ADT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Eri Ramos Bastos <bastos.eri at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did some tests with DNS servers a while ago, mostly to compare
> performance for recursion.
> That was pretty interesting and the results were not what I expected
> them to be. You may wish to consider other options after looking at
> it.
>
> It's in portuguese, but the google translation is not _that_ bad:
>

> http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgeek.linuxman.pro.br%2Fgeek%2Fbenchmark-de-servidores-dns-recursivos&sl=pt&tl=en

A few years back everyone seemed to be ready to hop
on the reiserfs file system.  I was ready to consider it as well,
until the day I saw the help message for repairing the
file system.  It reminded me of the "send a cheque for $20
to this address" type of software I used to see on tucows
shareware in the 90's.  Reiserfs struck me as amateurish for
something corporations are about to adopt as best of breed.
That alert message was a hint that this application
depended on one developer.

A few months later, the maker of Reiser FS was charged with
murder, and today there doesn't appear to be a future
for reiserfs.

The lesson here is that performance isn't the only
consideration in putting up services.  You need to consider
how many developers there are, whether the user base
is large enough to shake out the bugs and security
flaws, etc.

Remember what Linus said : "given enough eyeballs, all bugs
are shallow".  This is why open source can be secure,
despite revealing its inner workings.  I prefer larger
based projects for that reason.

--Donald