[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Mar 13 11:18:02 ADT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:28:48PM -0400, Joe Dunn wrote:
> Vmware is great, I can't imagine not using in a production
> environment

What Joe said.

I will add that the full power of ESX is only realised with VM Virtual
Center, the Vmotion addon, and a SAN (fibre channel or iSCSI) or fast
NFS to host the virtual drives. With Vmotion you can live migrate the
virtual machines. Deploy the hardware is matched pairs and you should
never have to shutdown the production virtual machines for hardware
problems.

Virtual machines can be easily converted from VMware
Workstation/Fusion/Server to ESX. So get a couple copies of
Workstation/Fusion or the free Server to build you virtual machines.

The real power of VMware ESX is not the virtualization it is the
management features of Virtual Center. None of the other
virtualization options have management features as good as VMware.

You can get a 30 day trial of all the VMWare software.

In production I have Linux and Windows virtual machines on two 1U
servers running ESX backed by a small FC SAN. In the test environment
I have four 1U servers running ESX (with DRS and Vmotion) backed by a
larger FC SAN. The ESX servers allow the developers to deploy any
crazy mix of test machines.

--
sg