[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:50:03 ADT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Devan Goodwin <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca> wrote:

> Just in case there's still a chance of the Red Hat KVM route, KVM's
> destined for (I think) RHEL 5.4 and a lot of the virt tools are under
> active development in the open. oVirt (http://ovirt.org/) looks pretty
> interesting, and we even have some guest provisioning/management
> capabilities in Spacewalk and RHN Satellite. (just recently expanded
> by integrating cobbler)

Redhat's press release in February made it clear, Xen is out, KVM is in.
I wouldn't consider Xen anymore that it is marked an EOL technology.
kvm is much lighter - a mere module to load without a reboot.

> The virt stuff itself is already appearing in Fedora, I've just
> recently acquired hardware I could do full virt with and while I've
> only used virt solutions in the context of development and testing
> (not maintaining production systems), KVM and the tools found in
> Fedora 10 are by far my favorite of VMware/Virtualbox/Xen. (though
> I've only ever used VMware workstation) KVM seems rock solid wrt
> stability (I've got 2-3 guests powered up all the time on a system
> that's basically my primary workstation too) and there's yet to be a
> problem. Really strong CLI but even the virt-manager GUI is great.
> (and has come a *long* way from where it was) Throw in cobbler/koan
> for kickstarting guests unattended and you can do some really neat
> things.

I had assumed the full featured aspects like high availability
(server fails, guest hosts are automatically spawned on other servers)
would not be made available in Fedora.

At this point, I've only used KVM on Debian 5, which also has
virt-manager.

It is the control and automatic stuff like snapshots and high
availability which we are going to need if vmware is to be
possibly challenged.  Unfortunately,  we may not be
able to wait for the Q2 Redhat release.