[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

Devan Goodwin dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca
Fri Mar 13 20:21:55 ADT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool.  Some interesting feedback there.  I didn't know
> so many used VMware on production servers.
>
> Redhat's roadmap for this year includes a full virtualization solution,
> with high availability, etc.  It looks like it will compete more nose to
> nose
> with vmware than before.
>
> One other question: how many use ESX full and how many ESXi?
>
> --Donald

Just in case there's still a chance of the Red Hat KVM route, KVM's
destined for (I think) RHEL 5.4 and a lot of the virt tools are under
active development in the open. oVirt (http://ovirt.org/) looks pretty
interesting, and we even have some guest provisioning/management
capabilities in Spacewalk and RHN Satellite. (just recently expanded
by integrating cobbler)

The virt stuff itself is already appearing in Fedora, I've just
recently acquired hardware I could do full virt with and while I've
only used virt solutions in the context of development and testing
(not maintaining production systems), KVM and the tools found in
Fedora 10 are by far my favorite of VMware/Virtualbox/Xen. (though
I've only ever used VMware workstation) KVM seems rock solid wrt
stability (I've got 2-3 guests powered up all the time on a system
that's basically my primary workstation too) and there's yet to be a
problem. Really strong CLI but even the virt-manager GUI is great.
(and has come a *long* way from where it was) Throw in cobbler/koan
for kickstarting guests unattended and you can do some really neat
things.

Cheers,

Devan

--