[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Fri Mar 13 01:29:36 ADT 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:32:11AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> Cool.  Some interesting feedback there.  I didn't know
> so many used VMware on production servers.
>
> Redhat's roadmap for this year includes a full virtualization solution,
> with high availability, etc.  It looks like it will compete more nose to
> nose
> with vmware than before.

I think any recent linux distro (I forget when it came in... 2.6.24?)
*should* have the pv_ops hooks to let it play nice with a variety of
virtualization apps (vmware, xen, kvm, etc.) For VMware that means
effectively 'free' hypervisor calls. Very cool.

> One other question: how many use ESX full and how many ESXi?

I *think* the difference is in the management tools. There may be a
difference in the HCL too, I'm not sure on that either.