[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:28:51 ADT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:17:00PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:33:50PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> > You can't boot a vmware file from CDROM AFAIK,
> > so how can it be fixed?
>
> You can, how did you think guest OSes got installed?

I am not sure if this is what Teed meant. I have managed to boot an OS
off a usb stick. I find vmware good with supporting all kinds of
hardware.

> > Doesn't seem to have the benefits of journaling or this wouldn't be
> > happening.
>
> I'm not sure what "it" is in this context. If you're talking about
> something like Workstation/Fusion/Server/Player then it will have the
> benefits of whatever your underlying filesystem is. Journalling isn't
> a magic bullet, if you kill the power and updates haven't been flushed
> to disk, they get lost.

There are a few silver bullets though. I have recently heard about ZFS,
a filesystem that supports rollbacks and instant backups.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
    http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/

Moreover, vmware supports the single snapshot. However, with the free
VMWare server, I have found that it takes a very long time to do a
snapshot and the client system becomes quite unresponsive. Maybe
slowness in this case is expected.

What I dislike most about vmware, is that it is not open source, so
whats free now may not be later. I will be trying out:

    http://www.virtualbox.org/

It seems cool and it supports an unlimited number snapshots per vm. It
also runs on Linux, Solaris, OS X and Windows.

I would like to see the following product released, it seems cool if it
were real:

    http://www.amd.com/us/atwork/Pages/showtime6.aspx

--
Hatem Nassrat