[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

Steve Zinck szinck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:04:28 ADT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> The powers of wisdom at my workplace feel our
> future should be run by vmware.  Blades or no blades
> that is what the powers of wisdom want.

We started using VMware last year. Started out with just 2 Blades and now
we're up to 14 in our cluster.  Our architecture is pretty much VMware for
applications on the front end and "big iron" on the backend for Oracle and
other heavy apps. We have a bunch of Solaris boxes too but I plan on fading
them out in favor of Linux on VMware.

With tools like VMware, puppet, LDAP (all of our Unix boxes are hooked to
LDAP now) and splunk, our automation and deployment time is MUCH lower than
previously.

I haven't used Xen much and haven't even looked at KVM, but I'm pretty much
a fan of VMware.

s.