[nSLUG] vmware for Linux virtualization on production servers

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:33:50 ADT 2009

The powers of wisdom at my workplace feel our
future should be run by vmware.  Blades or no blades
that is what the powers of wisdom want.

My experience with vmware has been limited to
workstation, and I've seen cases where the
virtual machine files become corrupt.  One
way this happened was if the host was shutdown
or powered off without the guest stopping properly.

You can't boot a vmware file from CDROM AFAIK,
so how can it be fixed?  Doesn't seem to have
the benefits of journaling or this wouldn't be happening.

Does anyone have praise or horror stories about vmware?

If it were up to me, we would be evaluating KVM. Redhat
has announced they are dropping Xen and going
100% KVM.  Seems cleaner - a mere module to load.

--Donald