[nSLUG] Taxes and Open Source

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:35:29 ADT 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 01:31:50PM -0400, Jason Kenney wrote:
> It's not that they don't provide a warranty.  It's that you need tax
> professionals to make something decent.  Ie, You need some accountants
> and some lawyers willing to donate their time (every year to update in
> order to stay useful to boot) in order to put out a free product, that
> likely conflicts with their own business.

Open Source doesn't necessarily mean "to work for free", there are many
open source projects that have the funding to put professionals on their
payrolls.

As for the conflict of intrest, i don't see this as being any different
than a programmer writing free software. [Place all arguments for Open
Source and Free Software Development Here; s/Programmer/Lawyer]

[...]
> If you are serious about starting a project, I'd suggest you give a
> read through the Income Tax Act:
> http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cs/I-3.3///en.  (Yes, all of
> it).  If that doesn't strike fear in your heart, then you're made of
> sterner stuff than I.

It is a lengthy document, but atleast no one can argue that the
requirements for a project like this are not complete ;).

I am not saying that it is an easy task, but I think that many Canadians
would likely want to contribute to such a project. As for the user base,
i think they will come around [Place arguments here that Linux is more
reliable than Windoze].

--
Hatem Nassrat