[nSLUG] Taxes and Open Source

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:31:50 ADT 2009

I think the main point of the thread was that you would need a large
number of people who are very well versed in the tax code working with
your project as well.

It's not that they don't provide a warranty.  It's that you need tax
professionals to make something decent.  Ie, You need some accountants
and some lawyers willing to donate their time (every year to update in
order to stay useful to boot) in order to put out a free product, that
likely conflicts with their own business.

That does seem quite unrealistic.  The fact is the Canadian tax code
is very complicated, and you can buy something like UFile for $30,
which will do 8 returns.  I don't think there is a 'market' at all for
OSS tax preparation software.  If your returns are very simple, you
can get worksheets to do them on pencil and paper from the government
for free.  If they're complicated enough to require a computer to
organize them, who is going to trust some unknown software when the
alternative is at most $30 shared among however many returns you are
filing?

If you are serious about starting a project, I'd suggest you give a
read through the Income Tax Act:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cs/I-3.3///en.  (Yes, all of
it).  If that doesn't strike fear in your heart, then you're made of
sterner stuff than I.

The story this guy tells is telling I think:
http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=141835&cid=11902560

I understand he'd be frustrated to get an answer like that, but again,
the fact is in order to give income tax advice in a professional
context, you'd need to be a lawyer or a certified accountant I believe
- and those just aren't the kinds of people you can afford to pay to
work on a call centre.

Jason