[nSLUG] No beep

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Jun 7 09:12:16 ADT 2009

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 02:32:24 -0300
mspencer at tallships.ca (Mike Spencer) wrote:
> Neither my main machine nor the one I'm installing Slack 11 on has a
> physical PC speaker.  But my present setup plays the console-
> beep/terminal-bell/X-bell through the soundcard.

And your main machine doesn't already have wires hooked up from the pc
speaker header on the motherboard to the sound card?

> aumix shows a volume slider for "pc spkr" that works.

This *sounds* like it takes input from the PC speaker from your
system ...  If sound is integrated on the motherboard, you probably
won't be able to see this connection.

> The new(ish) box (Dell, P4, Slack 11, Kernel 2.4.33, ALSA 1.0.11) has
> no beep at all. aumix shows no "pc spkr" volume control.

Right, so different sound card, different channels.

> I've been over in alt.os.linux.slackware where, natch, everybody's
> using the latest distro (12.x) and 2.6 kernel and advice tends to the
> "get a real pc speaker" line.  Now why would I have a feature working
> fine with the older versions of everything that goes away in the newer
> 2.4 and in 2.6?

It's not a kernel thing, but a sound card thing.  Particularly with
integrated chipsets we have found that there are differences within the
very same chipset from one motherboard to the next.  A constant stream
of patches was needed to make hda_intel work fully from one Eee PC
model to the next, yet they were all reported by lspci as using the
same chipset.  Channel names changed, numbers of channels changed, the
internal mic broke on some models, etc.

> Or is this obviously a difference in functionality of the on-board sound
> cards (82801EB/ER vs. 82801BA/BAM)?

Yes.

Compare the output of 'amixer' on each system.

On a system (Asus Eee PC model 4G) with 2.6.30-rc8 (supports alsa beep)
I have:

Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 3 [10%] [-30.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Playback 3 [10%] [-30.00dB] [off]

This is a brand new feature in the kernel, quite distinct from the
'pcspkr' module which is used to handle any PC speaker hardware your
system may have.

Ben