[nSLUG] Re: No beep

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Jun 7 02:32:24 ADT 2009

I wrote:

me> No beep
me> [details, omitted here, appended below in case anyone can help]

Baha Baydar <bbaydar at gmail.com> wrote:

BB> Many machines don't ship with an internal speaker/buzzer these days
BB> and don't route the audio from the speaker pins on the mobo to the
BB> sound card. My suggestion would be to crack open the case and find out
BB> if you A) have a speaker/buzzer B) where the pins/header for the
BB> speaker are so you can hook one up and/or wire it to your sound card.

Neither my main machine nor the one I'm installing Slack 11 on has a
physical PC speaker.  But my present setup plays the console-
beep/terminal-bell/X-bell through the soundcard.

Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> replied:

Ben> The Asus Eee PC is one such machine.  Solved in the linux kernel
Ben> 2.6.30 prereleases. We now have a Beep channel in the hda_intel
Ben> alsa driver (introduced in alsa 1.0.19, i think) that synthesizes
Ben> the beep through the sound card.  Check latest version of alsa
Ben> for your hardware, perhaps?

That's odd.  I see complaints on the net about 2.6 beep failure.  But
my working machine (IBM, P3, Slack 10.1, Kernel 2.4.29, ALSA 1.0.8)
does this just fine. xset b works when in X and the traditional
irritating beeps happens in console, all through the external
speakers.  aumix shows a volume slider for "pc spkr" that works.

The new(ish) box (Dell, P4, Slack 11, Kernel 2.4.33, ALSA 1.0.11) has
no beep at all. aumix shows no "pc spkr" volume control.

I've been over in alt.os.linux.slackware where, natch, everybody's
using the latest distro (12.x) and 2.6 kernel and advice tends to the
"get a real pc speaker" line.  Now why would I have a feature working
fine with the older versions of everything that goes away in the newer
2.4 and in 2.6?

Or is this obviously a difference in functionality of the on-board sound
cards (82801EB/ER vs. 82801BA/BAM)?

Tedious details appended below in case anybody is interested enough to
look it over.

Beepless,
- Mike

--- Begin details ---

Other sound feature work: CD & file audio; DVD- & file-video
soundtrack.

Dell P4 (No beep):

      Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
      AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

IBM P4 (Beeps thru soundcard):

      Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM
      AC'97 Audio (rev 02)

IBM P3 Slack 10.1          DELL P4 Slack 11

K: 2.4.29 ALSA 1.0.8       K: 2.4.33 ALSA 1.0.11
--------------------       ---------------------
(beeps)                    (no beeps)

bogus% pwd                   nudel% pwd
  /proc/asound/card0		   /proc/asound/card0

bogus% ls -1				 nudel% ls -1

  codec97#0/				   codec97#0/
  id						   id
  intel8x0					   intel8x0
  oss_mixer					   oss_mixer
  pcm0c/					   pcm0c/
  pcm0p/					   pcm0p/
  pcm1c/					   pcm1c/
							   pcm2c/
							   pcm3c/
							   pcm4p/

Dell P4, Slack 11, (no beep)
---------------------------

nudel% pwd
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0

nudel% ls
ac97#0-0  ac97#0-0+regs

nudel% cat ac97#0-0
0-0/0: Analog Devices AD1980

PCI Subsys Vendor: 0x1028
PCI Subsys Device: 0x019d

Capabilities     : -headphone out-
DAC resolution   : 20-bit
ADC resolution   : 16-bit
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Double rate slots: 10/11
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=0 AMAP LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 DRA VRA
Extended status  : LDAC SDAC CDAC VRA
PCM front DAC    : 48000Hz
PCM Surr DAC     : 48000Hz
PCM LFE DAC      : 48000Hz
PCM ADC          : 48000Hz

AD18XX configuration
Unchained        : 0x1000,0x0000,0x0000
Chained          : 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000

IBM P3, Slack 10.1, (beep thru soundcard)

bogus% pwd
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0

bogus% ls
ac97#0-0  ac97#0-0+regs

bogus% cat ac97#0-0
0-0/0: Analog Devices AD1885

Capabilities     : -headphone out-
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 16-bit
3D enhancement   : Analog Devices Phat Stereo

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=0 DSA=0 VRA
Extended status  : VRA
PCM front DAC    : 18905Hz
PCM ADC          : 48000Hz

AD18XX configuration