[nSLUG] XEN & Heartbeat

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:59:59 ADT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Hatem Nassrat <hnassrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have briefly looked at fault tolerance during my MACS at dalhousie
> and I remember reading about systems which can even handle hardware
> failures by having standby replicas of the hardware within the machine
> itself.

While it's quite likely an urban legend, it was said that one could
fire a shotgun through a Tandem box without it going down.

Tandem specialized in redundant, fault-tolerant hardware.  But they
were also very expensive, so I don't think they're around anymore.

There are lots of hardware products designed to enable various kinds
of fault-tolerance, but again they are all very expensive.

Whether the expense is worth it depends on what the cost of your
downtime or data loss would be.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford