[nSLUG] XEN & Heartbeat

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:27:49 ADT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 06:32:19PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>>
>> My question was if there was anything out there that DIDN'T have that
>> flaw... ie I'm writing 10GB to disk, side A fails, side B completes
>> the loss with no interruption from my point of view.
>
> That is exactly what VMware FT is supposed to do.

>From my limited knowledge in the area, the only way I see that working
is if there was redundancy involved, wither in the from of some shared
raid array or LVM or something. Unless it is really important data
(some that I haven't had the pleasure with dealing with yet) this
maybe overkill.

I have briefly looked at fault tolerance during my MACS at dalhousie
and I remember reading about systems which can even handle hardware
failures by having standby replicas of the hardware within the machine
itself.

--
Hatem Nassrat