[nSLUG] XEN & Heartbeat

Ian Campbell ian at slu.ms
Wed Jun 3 15:32:19 ADT 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:26:37PM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 06:10:35PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but those aren't "fault tolerant" to the point where if you're
> > writing to disk on one machine which crashes halfway through it
> > continues seamlessly on the other, are they?
>
> In theory the setup will survive. It is desinged to survive bad
> hardware. It does not to protect against bad software. If on vm
> crashes then the other will crash as both are identical and running
> the same code.

Yeah, I'm not talking about just maintaining service. Oliver was
mentioning that a downside of his approach was that existing
connections would die. There would also be half-finished writes. The
service would still be 'up', you'd just have to reconnect etc.

My question was if there was anything out there that DIDN'T have that
flaw... ie I'm writing 10GB to disk, side A fails, side B completes
the loss with no interruption from my point of view.