[nSLUG] XEN & Heartbeat

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:07:51 ADT 2009

If you're going to use Xen, make sure the distro that you want
supports it, and that the Linux kernel it uses supports whatever
hardware is needed to mount your root device.

The Linux kernel from Xen.org is 2.6.18, which doesn't support my
3ware 9690SA RAID.  Further, when I installed Fedora 10 on my spiffy
new Xeon box, I found that it didn't support Xen except for Linux
DomUs - that is, one couldn't boot off the Xen kernel or have it load
the Fedora kernel as a Dom0.

I spent about five months fiddling with it before I was able to get it
to work at all.

Xen supports live migration of running systems.  I'm not sure what it
can do about failover.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford