[nSLUG] XEN & Heartbeat

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Jun 3 10:17:44 ADT 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:13:46AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> it's unplanned downtime I don't think hot-hot HA would save you
> either... since you'd have unfinished transactions (disk, network, or
> something higher level like a DB request) ... if I'm wrong on that,
> please let me know, it would be neat to see how they did it.

The lastest version of VMware ESX (v4, aka vSphere) has a Fault Torerent
mode that supports hardware failure. Two identical virtual machine run on two
physical machines and are kept in sync. No idea how they do it.

You can achieve the same goal using the Linux Virtual Server (LVS)
tools running in the virtual machines. You may need to add Linux HA as
well. I haven't used LVS and only dabbled with HA briefly.

--
sg