[nSLUG] Aspect ratio/resolution problem on Ubuntu

Eric J Russell russell.ericj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:41:40 ADT 2009

Hi folks,

I have a Toshiba Satellite U300 with Ubuntu 9.04 on it. I also have a 32"
Samsung LCD TV. I tried hooking up the TV to the laptop as my second monitor
(VGA cable).

It worked (I could play videos on my TV), but Ubuntu had the TV set to 4:3.
I went in and changed it to 16:9. TV still shows the desktop, but now my
video players all crash immediately.

I tried a reboot, and now not only do the players crash (even if I remove
the cable), but my laptop screen is in 4:3 instead of 16:10. I can put it
back to 16:10 but the resolution is very very low. For some reason the
resolution that my laptop supports (a better 16:10) is not there.

So now I have black bars down the sides of my screen after login. At the
login page, I seem to have the very low res 16:10 until I log in.

Does anyone know what went wrong or have any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Russell