[nSLUG] (1) X dies on return from VT switch (2) No beep

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jun 2 03:01:49 ADT 2009

Thanks for pointers on rsync.  Did some test runs and it looks like
that will fix me right up.

But: I hit two other problems.

1.  X is working fine.  Handles mplayer, gimp, browser etc.  When I
    switch to another virtual console and then switch back [1], X dies
    with message:

       Fatal server error:
       Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

    I guessed a workaround from widely scattered bits turned up with
    google re. similar problem on oldish Redhat and recent Debian :
    change xorg.conf to:

        Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Card0"
            Monitor    "Monitor0"

            DefaultDepth 16
#########   DefaultDepth 24

    I.e. DefaultDepth 16 instead of 24, after which VT switch works as
    expected.

        Xorg 6.9.0  + twm  (no KDE/Gnome)
        i810 driver on 865G chipset
        2.4 kernel on Dell with P4 CPU, 500M RAM

    Is this a well-known bug (feature, config mistake, wierdness) that
    y'all know about?  Is there a better solution?

2. There's no bell.  No matter whether it's in Emacs, in an xterm or in
   a console when X hasn't even been started.  No beep.  Even this:

      /bin/echo -ne '\007'

   doesn't beep.

   Sound system plays video file sound track, sound files, CD audio,
   DVD video sound track.  I've tried all possible settings in aumix.
   I note that the aumix GUI shows a slider for "Spkr" on my present
   machine (IBM PIII) which *does* control the beep volume.  There's
   no such slider in the aumix panel on the Dell I'm trying to set up.
   I don't understand why. Is there a clue here?

   lspci shows:

       Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
       (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02

   My current machine (IBM PIII) beeps through the sound card and
   external speakers.  "xset b" works as advertised. But the Dell
   doesn't beep no matter what I do. [2]

   Any ideas?

Still bumbling,
- Mike

[1] X dies, details: Switching from X to a console doesn't kill X.  ps
    shows X still running.  But ALT-F7 to *return* to X kills X.  The
    i810 driver manpage says:

        Option "VBERestore" "boolean"

        Enable or disable the use of VBE save/restore for saving and
        restoring the initial text mode.  This is disabled by default
        because it causes lockups on some platforms.  However, there
        are some cases where it must enabled for the correct
        restoration of the initial video mode.  If you are having a
        problem with that, try enabling this option.  Default:
        Disabled.

    Enabling that option in xorg.conf is noted in the xorg.0.log but
    doesn't fix the problem.

[2] "Why do you *want* a @!#$!@ beep, anyhow?" answered on request.

                                                           /V\