[nSLUG] bare metal recovery

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Jul 19 13:53:32 ADT 2009

I use Mondo on Debian to create bootable DVDs for bare metal install. It
works well. If the target hardware is identical the restore is fully
automated. Otherwise you may need to create partitions and similar from
the recovery shell.

I use bacula for regular backups. After a recovery with mondo I run a
full recovery from bacula.

The classical *nix recovery procedure is to install a minimal system on
the swap partition. The swap partition is used because it not needed
until the system is fully restored. The minimal system needs just enough
tools to recover from the system backups. With the plethora of minimal
bootable Linux systems out there you no longer need to install to the
swap partition.

--
sg