[nSLUG] bare metal recovery

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:08:56 ADT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 01:12:28PM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Hatem Nassrat<hnassrat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:56:30AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> >> on a live system.  Has anyone else managed to recover the
> >> root partition from their backup software while running on the
> >> same root?

Yeah as I thought I misundrestood your post. I also seem to have not
read the words "on a live system" :(

[...]
> I know there are ways to image and restore disks as snapshots or
> templates, but I'm wondering if anyone has used backup/recovery
> software to overwrite the system they are running on.  i.e. was
> I just lucky to have this work on my Solaris 7 experience?
> Assuming things like /dev and /proc are not touched by a
> recovery, why should a machine go down when files in /
> are updated?  Perhaps /etc/mnttab could be sensitive.
> When I have time I'll experiment with this, but I thought someone
> here might know.

With a few googles, I found the documentation to some linux
backup/recovery software. Although they don't recomend doing what your
doing, it seems documented that it is possible.

    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_6_1_0/qinetix_books_online/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/unix/linux.htm

There is a link off that page that basically says, it is recomended that
you exclude /dev. Hope this can be of some use.

--
Hatem Nassrat