[nSLUG] bare metal recovery

Hatem Nassrat hnassrat at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:56:51 ADT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:56:30AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:
> I've heard a suggested recovery technique is to install a bare minimal
> install to the swap partition, boot that, install the backup/recover

I thought swap partition is volatile, I wouldn't think you ca use it for
this purpose. Ofcourse my experience is quite limited, but to me this is
new stuff.

> software, and restore to the original partitions, run the boot loader
> tool, fix fstab, etc.

I think if you run a live CD or USB it may be easier.

[...]
> on a live system.  Has anyone else managed to recover the
> root partition from their backup software while running on the
> same root?

If you have a copy of "/" backed up soemwhere, the recomended strategy
is to load up a live cd, or plug in the drive that the data will be
pushed to on another running machine (ofcourse you need a way to get to
the backup data, netwrok (rsync) or a burnt DVD maybe options). Mount
the drive, e.g.

    sudo -s
    mkdir /mnt/brokendisk
    mkdir /mnt/backupdisk
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/brokendisk
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/backupdisk
    rsync -av --progress /mnt/backupdisk/ /mnt/brokendisk/

ofcourse changing the above to suit your layout.

I am still not 100% sure I undrestand your problem. Hope this helps.

--
Hatem Nassrat