[nSLUG] Re: GNU/Linux. Linux Pronunciation.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Jan 30 04:58:09 AST 2009

Richard Bonner <ak621 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> ***   I used to call it "lie-nux" because that is the way it is
> spelled. Then I heard a Torvalds sound byte and with his accent, it
> comes out as "lee-nux". That is how I say it today.

Yeah, I have the little sound file too.  AFAICT, he says "LEE-nooks",
not "LEE-nucks".

But prac'ly ever'body says "linn-icks" and articulates neither the
"ee" nor the "ooks".

Since the common English pronounciation of the name Linus is with a
long 'i' (e.g., Linus Pauling), I figger I'm no wronger than the
linn-icks people.  Most people don't know what Linux is, anyhow.  If
the computational cognescenti think I'm old and stupid, that's okay.
I don't pronounce TeX the way Knuth wants me to, either.   I'm pretty
sure I'm consensus-compliant on "awk".

- Mike

                                                           /V\